Basic Principle Of Alternator

A.C. generators or alternators (as they are usually called) operate on the same fundamental principles of electromagnetic induction as d.c. generators. They also consist of an armature winding and a magnetic field. But there is one important difference between the two. Whereas in d.c. generators, the armature rotates and the field system is stationary, the arrangement in alternators is just the reverse of it. In their case, standard construction consists of armature winding mounted on a stationary element called stator and field windings on a rotating element called rotor.

The details of construction are shown in Fig.

basic+principle+of+alternator
alternator


The stator consists of a cast-iron frame, which supports the armature core, having slots on its inner periphery for housing the armature conductors. The rotor is like a flywheel having alternate N and S poles fixed to its outer rim. The magnetic poles are excited (or magnetised) from direct current supplied by a d.c. source at 125 to 600 volts. In most cases, necessary exciting (or magnetising) current is obtained from a small d.c. shunt generator which is belted or mounted on the shaft of the alternator itself. Because the field magnets are rotating, this current is supplied through two sliprings. As the exciting voltage is relatively small, the slip-rings and brush gear are of light construction. Recently, brushless excitation systems have been developed in which a 3-phase a.c. exciter and a group of rectifiers supply d.c. to the alternator. Hence, brushes, slip-rings and commutator are eliminated.

When the rotor rotates, the stator conductors (being stationary) are cut by the magnetic flux, hence they have induced e.m.f. produced in them. Because the magnetic poles are alternately N and S, they induce an e.m.f. and hence current in armature conductors, which first flows in one direction and then in the other.

Hence, an alternating e.m.f. is produced in the stator conductors
(i)whose frequency depends on the number of N and S poles moving past a conductor in one second and
(ii)whose direction is given by Fleming's Right-hand rule.



Comments

Anonymous said…
You have good articles here! If anyone here looking for loan @ 2% rate in return to buy home or other financing needs, I want you to contact Mr Benjamin On 247officedept@gmail.com Also On Whats-App + 1-989-394-3740When I was introduced to Mr. Benjamin, I was entering the market as a first time buyer. Naturally,my needs were a bit different and I had loads of questions. Before he sent me my pre-approval letter, he called to speak with me about what it meant and what could change. He made himself available to me at pretty much any hour via email and texts. He was very responsive and knowledgeable. He’s also very straightforward. I explained to him what my expectations were in terms of closing time and other particulars. He said he would meet those expectations but he surpassed them. I closed so quickly my realtor and the seller of course were excited about that. But as a buyer I appreciated being walked through the process of Mr Benjamin loan offer. From pre-approval to closing- the journey was so seamless and I consider myself lucky because I’ve heard horror stories. I recommend him to anyone looking for a loan. Everything was handled electronically expediently and securely   

Popular posts from this blog

Automatic Night Lamp with Morning Alarm using 8085 Microprocessor